How to Incorporate a Business in Massachusetts (MA)
There are three ways to incorporate your business in Massachussetts: hire a lawyer to do the job for you (a very expensive option), walk in to the State Department office and do it by yourself or to use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings. Whatever method you chose, this section will provide you the basic information you need to know about MA filings.
MA Articles of Incorporation Requirements
Massachussetts Corporate Name Endings
The corporation may assume any name which indicates it is incorporated. The name may not be same as name or trade name of Massachusetts corporation or foreign corporation, firm, association, or person carrying on business in Massachusetts or which is under reservation; nor so similar as to be mistaken for that other name, unless with written consent of existing corporation, firm, association or person.
* Minimum Number – Three or more. If only one or two shareholders, the number of directors can be less than three but not less than the number of shareholders.
* Residence Requirements. – No provision.
* Age Requirements – None.
* Directors are required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* The officers are required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* An increase in the shares may cause an increase in the initial filing fee.
* Annual Statements
* Must be filed on or before 15th day of 3rd month after close of fiscal year. Foreign corporations must file an initial certificate or report with the State Secretary within 10 days after commencing business in Massachusetts and an annual certificate of condition on or before the 15th day of the 3rd month following the close of their fiscal years. The filing fee of amount to be determined annually by the Commissioner of Administration.
Income Tax Rate
* Excise tax is composed of two parts: (1) $7 per $1,000 on specified and allocated tangible property if a tangible property corporation, or (b) net worth if an intangible property corporation: plus (2) 8.33% of net income attributable to Massachusetts.
For more information on taxes, visit http://www.mass.gov/portal/business/
Cost of Incorporating in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Limited Liability Company
- Massachusetts Corporation
- Massachusetts Nonprofit Corporation
ONLY $69.00 + State Fees!
Incorporate your business online. Start Here: