Obtaining Tax Exempt Status

Upon incorporating, you must prepare and file the 20-page IRS Form 1023 and related forms with the IRS accompanied by the appropriate filing fees.

The process of starting a public charity is often a confusing maze of legal procedures. ActiveFilings can assist nonprofit organizations to prepare the IRS Form 1023 and related attachments for 501(c)(3) exemption*.

Requirements for 501(C)(3)Tax Exempt

  • You must be incorporated as a nonprofit corporation
  • You must obtain an employer identification number
  • You must adopt bylaws for your corporation
  • Your must elect a Board of Directors and elect Officers. (We suggest you elect 3 directors who are unrelated by blood or marriage. Also, directors and officers may be the same 3 people)
  • Your organization must be organized and operated for a charitable, literary, scientific, religious or educational purpose or in furtherance of amateur athletics.
  • Your organization may not be operated for the private financial benefit of any one person or for the benefit of a small class of persons.
  • You must NOT engage in lobbying for political campaigns or similar political activity

More Information

For more information, check our section “Frequently Asked Questions about the 501(c)(3) process

How to Get Started

Our fee to guide you and prepare form 1023 and related forms required to obtain Tax exempt status from the IRS is $ 799.00

In addition you will have to pay to the IRS (at the time of filing) a filing fee of up to $850.00 (we will tell you the exact amount based on your particular case).

Our interactive process will start as soon as you have ordered the service. We will exchange as many email as necessary in order to obtain all the information we need to prepare your documents. You timely response to our questions will play a fundamental role in our processing times. With a good flow of information, you can expect to receive your prepared forms in 2 to 3 weeks.

  • * Even if you become tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, you may still have to comply with your state law to be considered tax exempt under state law. Our service does not include states filings.