There are three ways to incorporate your business in Massachusetts:

  1. Hire a lawyer to do the job for you (the most expensive option)
  2. Walk in to the Secretary of the Commonwealth office and do it by yourself
  3. Use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings.

MA Articles of Organization Requirements

The Articles of Organization is the formation document you file with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth to register your corporation with the state (LLCs file a Certificate of Organization). In Massachusetts, you can file Articles of Organization by mail, fax or in person (it will take the SOC 2 to 3 days to process your filing). If you hire Active Filings to incorporate your business, we are authorized to file online with the state, and we’ll form your LLC or corporation in 1 business day.

To complete your Massachusetts Articles of Organization, you’ll need to include the following information:

Company Name The corporation may assume any name which indicates it is incorporated. The name may not be same as name or trade name of Massachusetts corporation or foreign corporation, firm, association, or person carrying on business in Massachusetts or which is under reservation; nor so similar as to be mistaken for that other name, unless with written consent of existing corporation, firm, association or person.
Company Purpose List the reason for forming the corporation or the business/activity which the corporation will engage in.
Authorized Shares List the number of shares of corporate stock you are currently authorizing. Technically, this is when you “create” your stock (more can always be authorized later), and that stock will be issued to your shareholders at your first shareholder meeting.
Registered Agent Information In Massachusetts, a registered agent (also known as a resident agent) is an individual or business that serves as your company’s official point of contact for lawsuits and legal notices. As part of Active Filings’ incorporation service, we include a year of registered agent service when you hire us to incorporate your business in Massachusetts.
Names and Addresses of the Incorporators The incorporator is the person or company authorized to form the corporation. For example, if you hired us, we would list ourselves as the incorporator. The incorporator does not have any stake in or claim to the corporation being formed.

Director Information

Minimum Number Three or more. If only one or two shareholders, the number of directors can be less than three but not less than the number of shareholders.
Residence Requirements No provision
Age Requirements None
Articles of Incorporation Directors are required to be listed

Officer Information

Articles of Incorporation Officers are required to be listed

Stock Information

An increase in the shares may cause an increase in the initial filing fee.

Yearly Requirements

  • Annual Statements
  • Must be filed on or before 15th day of 3rd month after close of fiscal year. Foreign corporations must file an initial certificate or report with the State Secretary within 10 days after commencing business in Massachusetts and an annual certificate of condition on or before the 15th day of the 3rd month following the close of their fiscal years. The filing fee of amount to be determined annually by the Commissioner of Administration.

Income Tax Rate

Excise tax is composed of two parts: (1) $7 per $1,000 on specified and allocated tangible property if a tangible property corporation, or (b) net worth if an intangible property corporation: plus (2) 8.33% of net income attributable to Massachusetts.

For more information on taxes, visit

When you hire Active Filings to incorporate your business in Massachusetts, you’ll receive everything you need to track and maintain your company, this includes:

  • Free expedited service
  • One year of registered agent service
  • An online account where you can add additional services, track orders, maintenance requirements and digital notifications.

Get Started

Learn More About Incorporation Requirements In Your State