A “C” Corporation is the most common corporate structure. It provides personal limited liability protection to its shareholders.


A general corporation, also known as a “C” corporation, is the most common corporate structure. A general corporation may have an unlimited number of stockholders. Consequently, it is usually chosen by those companies planning to have more than 30 stockholders or large public stock offerings. Since a corporation is a separate legal entity, a stockholder’s personal liability is usually limited to the amount of investment in the corporation and no more.


In order to Incorporate a C Corporation, “Articles of Incorporation” have to be prepared and filed with the Secretary of State where the business is going to operate. The Articles of Incorporation are the main filing document which begins the corporation’s existence under state law. Once filed, the corporation comes into existence.

The articles of incorporation spells out certain minimum information about the corporation that is required by the laws of the state. It may also contain specific information about the corporation that needs to be made public record, like restrictions on the transfer of stock.

More information about C Corporations can be found at Frequently Asked Questions about C Corporations.

Generally, most jurisdictions require Articles of incorporation to contain, at a minimum, information about the following:

  • Corporate Name
  • Business address
  • Main activity of the company
  • Quantity and value of the shares of stock
  • Name and address of the Registered Agent.
  • Name and Address of initial Directors.


The cost of incorporating a business entity has two main components: State filing fee and ActiveFilings’ fees. State filing fees are also based on the type of entity, processing speed and other services offered by the states. offers 3 different incorporation packages at very competitive prices. Additionally, we can prepare your bylaws or operating agreement, obtain a Tax ID (EIN), prepare your organizational resolutions or provide you Registered Agent services in all US main jurisdictions.

All this information is available here. Select your State and Type of entity from the following list to have instant information: