There are three ways to incorporate your business in New Hampshire:

  1. Hire a lawyer to do the job for you (the most expensive option)
  2. Walk in to the Department of State office and do it by yourself
  3. Use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings.

New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation Requirements

The Articles of Incorporation is the formation document you file with the New Hampshire Department of State to register your corporation with the state (LLCs file Articles of Organization). You must also file Form SRA – Addendum to Business Organization and Registration. In New Hampshire, you can file Articles of Incorporation and the Form SRA by mail, fax or in person (it will take the SOS 2 days to process your filing). If you hire Active Filings to incorporate your business, we are authorized to file online with the state, and we’ll form your LLC or corporation in 1 business day.

To complete your New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation, you’ll need to include the following information:

Company Name The name must contain the words “limited”, “corporation” or “incorporated” or the abbreviation “Ltd.,” “Inc.” or “Corp.” The name must not be same or deceptively similar to the name of any corporation authorized to transact business in the state; any reserved or registered name; the fictitious name of a foreign corporation; any domestic or foreign limited partnership or other business entity. The name must not contain language implying that the corporation is organized for a purpose not permitted by the Act or its articles.
Company Purpose List the reason for forming the corporation or the business/activity which the corporation will engage in.
Authorized Shares List the number of shares of corporate stock you are currently authorizing. Technically, this is when you “create” your stock (more can always be authorized later), and that stock will be issued to your shareholders at your first shareholder meeting.
Registered Agent Information In New Hampshire, a registered agent (also known as a resident agent) is an individual or business that serves as your company’s official point of contact for lawsuits and legal notices. As part of Active Filings’ incorporation service, we include a year of registered agent service when you hire us to incorporate your business in New Hampshire.
Names and Addresses of the Incorporators The incorporator is the person or company authorized to form the corporation. For example, if you hired us, we would list ourselves as the incorporator. The incorporator does not have any stake in or claim to the corporation being formed.

Director Information

Minimum Number One or more
Residence Requirements No provision
Age Requirements None
Articles of Incorporation Directors are not required to be listed

Officer Information

Articles of Incorporation Officers are not required to be listed

Stock Information

An increase in shares or par value does not effect initial fees.

Yearly Requirements

Annual Statements

Returns must be filed by April 1 with the Secretary of State. Filing fee of $100 must accompany return. Annual report forms are mailed directly by the Secretary of State.

Income Tax Rate

8% of taxable business profits.

Business Enterprise Tax

The tax is imposed at the rate of .75% of the taxable enterprise value tax base of every business enterprise. The taxable enterprise value tax base means the enterprise value tax base adjusted by special adjustments and further adjusted by the method of apportionment. Enterprise value tax base means the sum of all compensation paid or accrued, interest paid or accrued, and dividends paid by the business enterprise.

For more information on taxes, visit

When you hire Active Filings to incorporate your business in New Hampshire, you’ll receive everything you need to track and maintain your company, this includes:

  • Free expedited service
  • One year of registered agent service
  • An online account where you can add additional services, track orders, maintenance requirements and digital notifications.

Get Started

Learn More About Incorporation Requirements In Your State