How to Incorporate a Business in Washington DC
- Hire a lawyer to do the job for you (the most expensive option)
- Walk in to the Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs office and do it by yourself
- Use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings.
DC Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Company Name
The name must contain the word “corporation”, “company”, “incorporated”, or “limited,” or an abbreviation. The name shall not be same as or deceptively similar to name of domestic corporation or authorized foreign corporation, or to reserved name.
- Company Purpose
List the reason for forming the corporation or the business/activity which the corporation will engage in.
- Authorized Shares
List the number of shares of corporate stock you are currently authorizing. Technically, this is when you “create” your stock (more can always be authorized later), and that stock will be issued to your shareholders at your first shareholder meeting.
- Registered Agent Information
In the District of Columbia, a registered agent (also known as a resident agent) is an individual or business that serves as your company’s official point of contact for lawsuits and legal notices. As part of Active Filings’ incorporation service, we include a year of registered agent service when you hire us to incorporate your business in Washington DC.
- Names and Addresses of the Incorporators
The incorporator is the person or company authorized to form the corporation. For example, if you hired us, we would list ourselves as the incorporator. The incorporator does not have any stake in or claim to the corporation being formed.
* Minimum Number – One or more.
* Residence Requirements. – No provision.
* Age Requirements – None.
* Directors are required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* An increase in shares or par value does not effect initial fees.
* Annual Statements
* Corporations must file reports with the Mayor by April 15 of the year after its incorporation and on or before April 15 of each second year thereafter. The biannual report fee is $200.
Income Tax Rate
* The state tax rate is 9.5%. Effective for tax periods beginning after September 1994, a 2.5% corporation franchise (income) surtax is imposed in addition to the existing 2.5% surtax of normal tax (above). Minimum tax is $100.
More information about incorporating in Washington DC:
In 10 minutes or less. Start Here: