How to Incorporate a Business in Tennessee (TN)
There are three ways to incorporate your business in TENNESSEE: hire a lawyer to do the job for you (a very expensive option), walk in to the State Department office and do it by yourself or to use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings. Whatever method you chose, this section will provide you the basic information you need to know about TN filings.
Tennessee Articles of Incorporation Requirements
Corporate Name Endings
The name must include “corporation”, “incorporated”, “company” or abbreviation of similar meaning, including words or abbreviations in foreign language. The name must be distinguishable upon secretary of state’s records from corporate name or assumed name of domestic or qualified foreign corporation or name reserved or registered under Tennessee law; or the name of a not for profit corporation, limited partnership, or limited liability company.
* Minimum Number – One or more.
* Residence Requirements. – No provision.
* Age Requirements – None.
* Directors are required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* No extra filing fees based on number of share or amount of par value.
* Annual Statements
* Every domestic corporation and every foreign corporation authorized to transact business in Tennessee (except state and national banks) must file an annual report with the Secretary of State by the 1st day of the 4th month following the close of the corporation’s fiscal year. Filing fee is $20.
Income Tax Rate
* 6% of net earnings.
* Also must pay an excise tax based on stock amount. The tax rate is 25-c- per $100, or major fraction thereof, of issued and outstanding capital stock, surplus, and undivided profits as shown on the corporation’s books and records at the close of its last fiscal year preceding the making of the required report. Minimum tax is $10.
For more information on taxes, visit www.state.tn.us/revenue
Cost of Incorporating in Tennessee
In 10 minutes or less. Start Here: