How to Incorporate a Business in Missouri (MO)
- Hire a lawyer to do the job for you (the most expensive option)
- Walk in to the Secretary of State office and do it by yourself
- Use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings.
Missouri Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Company Name
The name shall contain word “corporation”, “company”, “incorporated”, or “limited” or end with abbreviation thereof. The name may not contain any word or phrase which indicates or implies that corporation is governmental agency or that it is organized for any purpose other than purpose for which corporations may be organized under laws of Missouri. The name shall be distinguishable from the name of any domestic or foreign corporation authorized to do business in Missouri or any limited partnership, limited liability company, or reserved name.
- Company Purpose
List the reason for forming the corporation or the business/activity which the corporation will engage in.
- Authorized Shares
List the number of shares of corporate stock you are currently authorizing. Technically, this is when you “create” your stock (more can always be authorized later), and that stock will be issued to your shareholders at your first shareholder meeting.
- Registered Agent Information
In Missouri, a registered agent (also known as a resident agent) is an individual or business that serves as your company’s official point of contact for lawsuits and legal notices. As part of Active Filings’ incorporation service, we include a year of registered agent service when you hire us to incorporate your business in Missouri.
- Names and Addresses of the Incorporators
The incorporator is the person or company authorized to form the corporation. For example, if you hired us, we would list ourselves as the incorporator. The incorporator does not have any stake in or claim to the corporation being formed.
* Minimum Number – Three or more, except that corporation may have one or two directors provided the number of directors to constitute the board is stated in articles of incorporation.
* Residence Requirements. – No provision.
* Age Requirements – Eighteen or older.
* Directors are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* An increase in the shares may cause an increase in the initial filing fee.
* Annual Statements
* By August 1 with Secretary of State; remit fees to Director of Revenue. The fee is $45.
Income Tax Rate
* 6.25% of Missouri taxable income.
For more information on taxes, visit www.dor.state.mo.us
More information about incorporating in Missouri:
In 10 minutes or less. Start Here: