There are three ways to incorporate your business in Montana:

  1. Hire a lawyer to do the job for you (the most expensive option)
  2. Walk in to the Secretary of State office and do it by yourself
  3. Use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings.

MT Articles of Incorporation Requirements

The Articles of Incorporation is the formation document you file with the Montana Secretary of State to register your corporation with the state (LLCs file Articles of Organization). In Montana, you can file Articles of Incorporation by mail, fax or in person (it will take the SOS 10 days to process your filing). If you hire Active Filings to incorporate your business, we are authorized to file online with the state, and we’ll form your LLC or corporation in 1 business day.

To complete your Montana Articles of Incorporation, you’ll need to include the following information:

Company Name The name must be distinguishable from that of any corporation authorized to transact business in the state; a reserved or registered name; the fictitious name of a foreign corporation; any assumed business name, limited partnership, limited liability company, trademark, or service mark. The name must contain word “corporation”, “company”, “incorporated”, “limited”, or an abbreviation of such words or words or abbreviations.
Company Purpose List the reason for forming the corporation or the business/activity which the corporation will engage in.
Authorized Shares List the number of shares of corporate stock you are currently authorizing. Technically, this is when you “create” your stock (more can always be authorized later), and that stock will be issued to your shareholders at your first shareholder meeting.
Registered Agent Information In Montana, a registered agent (also known as a resident agent) is an individual or business that serves as your company’s official point of contact for lawsuits and legal notices. As part of Active Filings’ incorporation service, we include a year of registered agent service when you hire us to incorporate your business in Montana.
Name and Addresses of the Incorporators The incorporator is the person or company authorized to form the corporation. For example, if you hired us, we would list ourselves as the incorporator. The incorporator does not have any stake in or claim to the corporation being formed.

Director Information

Minimum Number One or more
Residence Requirements No provision
Age Requirements None
Articles of Incorporation Directors are not required to be listed

Officer Information

Articles of Incorporation Officers are not required to be listed

Stock Information

An increase in the shares may cause an increase in the initial filing fee.

Yearly Requirements

  • Annual Statements
  • Report filed with Secretary of State between January 1 and April 15 of each year on prescribed form. First report is due between January 1 and April 15 of year following calendar year in which certificate of incorporation or certificate of authority was issued. Annual report fee is $10.

Income Tax Rate

  • The tax is imposed at the rate of 6.75% of all net income. The minimum tax is $50.

For more information on taxes, visit

When you hire Active Filings to incorporate your business in Montana, you’ll receive everything you need to track and maintain your company, this includes:

  • Free expedited service
  • One year of registered agent service
  • An online account where you can add additional services, track orders, maintenance requirements and digital notifications.

Get Started

Learn More About Incorporation Requirements In Your State