How to Incorporate a Business in North Carolina (NC)
There are three ways to incorporate your business in NORTH CAROLINA: hire a lawyer to do the job for you (a very expensive option), walk in to the State Department office and do it by yourself or to use a professional incorporation company, like Active Filings. Whatever method you chose, this section will provide you the basic information you need to know about NC filings.
North Carolina Articles of Incorporation Requirements
Corporate Name Endings
Must contain words “corporation”, “incorporated”, “company” or “limited” or an abbreviation corp., inc., co., or ltd. May not contain language stating or implying corporation is organized for purposes not permitted by the Act and its articles. Must be distinguishable from name of domestic, foreign, or non-profit corporation, or the reserved or registered name of a limited liability company or partnership.
* Minimum Number – One or more.
* Residence Requirements. – No provision.
* Age Requirements – None.
* Directors are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
* No extra filing fees based on number of share or amount of par value.
* Annual Statements
* Domestic corporations and foreign corporations authorized to transact business in North Carolina must file an annual report with the Secretary of State within 60 days following the last day of the month in which the corporation was incorporated (or received a certificate of authority). Filing fee, $20.
Income Tax Rate
* Income Tax Rate – The income tax rate is 6.9% in 2000 of net income allocated and apportioned to North Carolina. Payment must be made by March 15 (15th day of 3d month) to Secretary of Revenue.
Franchise Tax Rate
* A franchise tax is also assessed. The rate is $1.50 per $1000 of issued and outstanding capital stock, surplus and undivided profits allocable to North Carolina. Minimum tax, $35.
For more information on taxes, visit http://www.dor.state.nc.us/
Cost of Incorporating in North Carolina
- North Carolina Limited Liability Company
- North Carolina Corporation
- North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation
In 10 minutes or less. Start Here: